Congratulations to the winners of the 2013 Canadian Tire Jumpstart Awards!
Newspapers Canada and Canadian Tire Jumpstart Categories would like to thank all of the newspapers who participated in the inaugural edition of the writing contest. Our panel of expert judges has selected a total of 12 winning articles submitted by community and daily publications from across the country. Each of the winning newspapers will receive a $5,000 grant to be donated to the local Jumpstart chapter featured in their story.
The winners of the 2013 Canadian Tire Jumpstart Awards are:
- Abbotsford News (BC), Jumpstart gets Abbotsford kids in the game, by Dan Kinvig
- Brooks Bulletin (AB), Couple recognized for support of Jumpstart, Bruce Parker
- Burnaby Newsleader (BC), Soaring to great heights, by Mario Bartel
- Calgary Herald – Be Local Magazine (AB), Jumpstart helps kids realize sporting dreams, by Alex Frazer-Harrison
- Chilliwack Progress (BC), Helping Canadian Kids Play Sports, by Eric Welsh
- Columbia Valley Pioneer (BC), Canadian Tire giving kids a sporting chance, by Dan Walton
- Comox Valley Echo (BC), Sparking resilience through sport, by Drew A. Penner
- Merritt Herald (BC), Country Run just around the corner; Merritt Country Run seeking key committee members, by Emily Wessel
- Penticton Western News (BC), Great Strides made from skating program, by Emanuel Sequeira
- Perth Courier (ON), Joint community effort jump starts fun for youth, by Laurie Weir
- Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph (QC), Canadian Tire jump start youth sports, by Bethann G. Merkle
- Victoria News (BC), Kids given leg up on active lifestyle, by Don Descoteau
We would alsolike to thank our esteemed judges for their contribution to this year’s awards: Robert Harris, Vice-President, Fundraising and Marketing for Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities; Lorne Silver, Creative Director at the Toronto Star; and Kirk LaPointe, UBC Journalism Adjunct Professor, Executive-in-Residence and Organization of News Ombudsmen Executive Director.
If you have any additional questions please contact:
416-923-3567 x 333
About Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities
Canadian Tire Jumpstart is a national charitable program that helps financially disadvantaged kids participate in organized sport and recreation by covering registration, equipment and/or transportation costs. Since 2005, Canadian Tire Jumpstart has helped give more than 500,000 Canadian kids the chance to play and the momentum is stronger than ever. To lend your support, visit Canadian Tire Jumpstart at jumpstart.canadiantire.ca.
About Newspapers Canada
Newspapers Canada is a joint initiative of the Canadian Newspaper Association and the Canadian Community Newspapers Association. As the voice of Canada’s newspaper industry, the two associations combined represent over 830 daily, weekly, and community newspapers in every province and territory in Canada.