Our current training season features seven brand new educational presentations covering a variety of subjects for all newspaper departments including management, editorial, marketing, advertising sales. circulation and more. Recordings of all webinars are available on the main webinar registration page.
Newspapers and individuals can purchase a subscription package for the complete series or register for individual presentations at a cost of $25.00 per session.
Click the links below to learn more about Newspapers Canada's webinar training:
Click here to visit the main Webinar Registration Site »
For information about the Newspapers Canada webinar series please contact Tina Ongkeko at email@example.com.
Fall 2014 Webinar Schedule
Please note, all webinar presentations take place from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM eastern unless otherwise noted.
Unable to attend the live session? Register anyway and you'll receive a digital recording of the webinar that you can view at your convenience.
The Best Multimedia Features, National Newspaper Awards
Thursday, October 9, 2014
Getting the Story: Investigations finalists, National Newspaper Awards
Thursday, October 23, 2014
2014 Big Data in classifieds and marketplaces: The new opportunity (FREE WEBINAR)
Thursday, October 30, 2014
Tooting Your Own Horn: Best Newspaper Marketing and Promotions, Great Idea Awards
Thursday, November 6, 2014
Engaging Youth: Best Young Reader Engagement Initiative finalists Great Idea Awards
Thursday, November 20, 2014
Eye of the Storm: News Feature Photography Tips
Thursday, December 4, 2014
Photo Essays: The Art of Long-Term Photo Stories
Thursday, December 11, 2014
Sports Photography: Beyond Peak Action NEW!
Thursday, January 29, 2015
Subscribe to the series
Newspapers can also sign up for the complete Fall 2014 webinar series. The cost for the entire webinar season varies based on newspaper circulation size.
Click here to view pricing details for the Fall 2014 webinar series »
FAQs about Webinars
What is a webinar?
A webinar is a seminar delivered on the Internet. The webinar consists of two elements: the audio through VOIP or a conference call, and the visual presentation (often a Power Point) that you can watch on your computer screen.
Why should I attend a Newspapers Canada webinar?
- High quality content from Canadian and US colleagues in a short, concise format always less than one hour.
- Convenient online training means you don’t even have to leave your desk.
- Flexibility: If you miss the session, you can see the recorded video later.
What sort of topics are covered?
Sessions cover a variety of subjects for editorial, circulation, sales, and design departments.
In addition to these one-hour sessions, this year we are presenting a series of short (10-minute) sessions on research tips for journalists. Pick up some simple concepts on mapping and searches as well as using databases and spreadsheets.
When do the webinars take place?
The Fall 2014 webinar schedule runs from October to December 2014. Presentations usually take place from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM eastern time.
How much do webinars cost?
Newspapers Canada webinar presentations are $25 for all CNA and CCNA members.
Why should I buy a subscription?
A webinar season subscription is a cost-effective and convenient way to provide one-stop training for your entire staff for less than the cost of a half-day seminar. Newspapers or individuals who sign up for a subscription will receive all new sessions and access to the online webinar archive.
Recordings of our past webinars are available on the main webinar registration page.
Winter 2013/Spring 2014
- Canada's Anti-Spam Law: Are You Ready? (FREE streaming video - Login required) - April 29, 2014
- Money-Making Content Ideas for Newspapers (FREE) - June 5, 2014
- Selling Audience: Why Your Future Depends on It - February 4, 2014
- Search Engine Optimization for Publishers - January 28, 2014
- If You Build It, They Will Read! - January 21, 2014
- Social Media for Advertising Sales Success - January 14, 2014
- Survey Says: Better Ways to Use Audience Measurement Data - December 17, 2013
- Social Media Analytics for Marketing Leaders - December 10, 2013
- Social Media for Smaller Newsrooms - November 26, 2013
- Social Search and How It's Changing Consumer Behaviour - November 12, 2013
- The Art of the Comeback - November 5, 2013
- Optimizing Retailer Relationships: Growing Single Copy Sales - October 29, 2013
- Newspapers 101: Cross-Media Studies - June 25, 2013
- Great Idea Awards Newspaper Marketing Winners - June 4, 2013
- Excelling at Corporate Sales - May 21, 2013
- Excelling at Classified Sales - May 14, 2013
- NNA Multimedia Finalists - April 16, 2013
- Mobile Marketing for Executives - April 9, 2013
- Excelling at Retail Sales - April 2, 2013
- Search Engine Optimization for Newsrooms - March 26, 2013
- Search Engine Optimization for Executives - March 19, 2013
- Super Sales Managers II - March 5, 2013
- Social Media for Sales - February 26, 2013
- Super Sales Managers I - February 19, 2013
- Social Media for Newsrooms - February 12, 2013
- Social Media Overview for Executives - February 4, 2013
- Better Beat reporting - April 24, 2012
- Multimedia NNA Finalists - April 17, 2012
- The Art of the Obituary - March 27, 2012
- Design: Multimedia NNA Finalists - Tuesday, April 17, 2012 (Click to download)
- Online Sales - Tuesday, March 6, 2012
- New research launch: Newspapers 24/7 - February 22, 2012
- Paywall Success Stories - February 21, 2012
- Covering local politics - February 7, 2012
- Ad Design Forum - January 24, 2012
- Business Law Basics for Journalists - January 10, 2012
- Follow the Money: Reading Financial Statements - December 6, 2011
- Research: Filing FOI Requests - December 13, 2011
- Using Twitter for Journalists - November 15, 2011
- Video Story Forms - October 24, 2011
- Selling Results, Not Space - October 17, 2011
- Video shooting skills - September 13, 2011
- Journalists and the Law - April 7, 2011
- Magnificent Multimedia - April 5, 2011
- Digital Editions and Mobile Apps - March 8, 2011
- Enter to Win: Compelling Contests and Promotions - February 22, 2011
- Headline Writing on Any Platform - February 8, 2011
- Creative Ad Layouts - January 18, 2011
- Shoot to Thrill: Photography Skills - January 11, 2011
- Beyond Google: Tips on Better Research Skills - December 7, 2010
- Interviewing: Getting the Story - November 16, 2010
- Social Media Pt. 2 - Facebook and Beyond: Advanced Options - November 9, 2010
- Social Media Pt. 1 - Using Social Media the Right Way - October 19, 2010
- Better Beat Reporting: Digging for Features - September 21, 2010
- Digital Publishing: E-Editions - February 17, 2010 (Video)
- Building Better Ads - February 10, 2010 (Video)
- Ontario Small Claims Court Changes - January 27, 2010 (Video)
- Social media policy development - December 9, 2009 (PDF)
- Carbon Footprint - November 25, 2009 (PDF - large file)
- Headlines online: SEO for editors - October 28, 2009 (PDF)
- Writing Great Editorials - October 14, 2009 (PDF - Sample Editorials)
- Designing Reader Surveys - September 30, 2009
- Great Advertising Copywriting - September 16, 2009 (Windows Media Player Video)
- Hosting a Great Event - April 23, 2009
- What makes a Great Ad? - February 25, 2009 Suzanne Raitt Effectiveness Study
- Live Blogging - February 11, 2009 Steve Buttry - Handouts - Examples
- Format Reduction Webinar - January 28, 2009
- Award-Winning Writing - January 14, 2009
- Internet Measurement Progress and the Future - November, 2008
- Responsible Journalism Defense - November 12, 2008
- New Libel Defenses - November 12, 2008
- TV Book Options - October 22, 2008
- Moderating Readers Comments - October 8, 2008
- Business Literacy Webinar - January 17, 2008
- Fighting Publication Bans - October 16, 2007